[lit-ideas] Re: FW: Re: Iremago

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 08:43:46 -0500

Hang on to your bra, babe.  Andy's not at all impressed with your venom.
If you didn't like his jokes, that's fine.  One can't please all the people
all the time, nor does one want to or intend to.  Especially those who
can't be pleased.  Go back to those who share your opinions and be happy.
Regarding Irene being "troubled", in case you haven't noticed, Irene's
level of insight into motivations and underlying intentions is pretty
astute.  She's been successfully married forever to a man who's crazy about
her and is gainfully employed.  Being Andy was fun, being Irene is less
fun.  Real life people are as boring as the day is long (I'll bet you and
everybody else yuk it up all day long).  If I were to kid around like this
on my day job I'd either be fired or given more work to do.  Likewise, if I
were so successful at being a man, if that's what you think I want to be, I
would never have been caught.  And if I enjoyed being a man, if that's what
you think I enjoyed being, it's because I was an androgynous man, on
electronic paper, with all the same convictions I always have.  Just a
different style of presentation.  And I even have a Pooh fleece shirt,
pink, but I've never read the books.  If I did, I might even find patterns
or other cultural elements in them, but I don't read Pooh books.  Thanks,
Teemu, for your support, and fie on thee, Carol.  And don't forget to reset
that block.

Andy

Imerago
> voices her delight in Andy, and how she enjoyed "being" him. The old
Irene
> assumes that we all shared her overall positive opinion of Andy.
>
> Not I. Andy's myriad ignorant, belligerant, and downright asinine posts
> caused me to block him from my e-mail within a few weeks of his
appearance
> on this list. As Judy commented, there was no arguing with "Andy." More,
no
> discussion allowed. Andy's obnoxiousness seemed quite traditionally male
(in
> the bad sense) to me--that is, unsubstantiated rhetorical assertions
phrased
> and presented as fact. Andy responded to queries as if they were attacks,
> which often ended whatever discussion might have been. My reaction to him
> codified into rolling eyeballs and gritted teeth--all expressions I
exercise
> aplenty in the real world, and so have no desire to hone in cyberspace.
>
> But Animago's male rhetoric, as a character (or Irene's female rhetoric,
as
> another character) may be worth more than a glance--the possibility of
> pathology aside, that is. Irene qua Irene, in her confession, resorted to
> typically female writing patterns, such as softening her statements with
> batch of qualifiers of the could be, perhaps, in my opinion vein. (Even
> Adolf Eichmann might have seemed human if a woman, writing traditionally,
> had translated his utterances.) When Andy took hold of the keyboard,
idiocy
> ensued more often than not.
>
> Witness Andy's recent response to his ignorance of an allusion to Eeyore.
> Faced with a topic about which he knew nothing, Andy derided that topic
as
> unimportant, and even implied derision towards the list for knowing about
> this character. We on this list are not culturally literate, implies the
> pugnacious ignoramus called Andy that Irene loves being; rather, we're
all
> Pooh lovers. What's to say to that nasty swipe?
>
> Irene seems to have a certain facility in creating character and
dialogue.
> Unfortunately, she created an obnoxious character in Andy, though
> consistently so. Why limit this facility to a mere internet listserv when
> others, worldwide, could be exposed to The Amazing Amago's Fearful
Wisdom?
> Go forth, Amagoo!
>
> Andy's dubious existence is just one more bad joke on his part. It's sad
> that Irene enjoys being him, but it's even sadder that this list allowed
> jerk like Andy to completely dominate it, drowning others' posts in
pounds
> of half-assed and insulting slasher verbiage.
>
> For the record, I oppose people creating false identities on listservs.
We