[lit-ideas] Re: FW: Re: Didn't I tell you so?

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 01:19:17 EDT

I think it has something to do with reading from a TelePrompTer with a
minimum of errors.

Julei Krueger
========Original  Message========
Subj: [lit-ideas] FW: Re: Didn't I tell you so?  Date: 6/29/06 10:28:38 P.M.
Central Daylight Time  From: _aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent
on:
>coupled with the fact that a college education  doesn't
> teach anything worth knowing half the time (yes, it's true),

Can someone please tell me what a communications major learns?   Presumably
they learn how to communicate.  But what do they  communicate?  Is it sort
of like a fancy sociology focusing on the  media?  I once took a course in
economics and I was crazy about it,  toyed with majoring in it.  Even
economics, unless one is teaching it to  others is not all that useful, but
boy is it interesting (macro).   Econometrics has to be completely bogus;
micro is the flip side of being an  electrician, it's just a trade.
Economists work in banks (among other  places) doing predictions hoping that
this time the "all other things being  equal" will hold, and of course it
never does.  (Q: what's better than a  million dollar forecasting system?
A: a guess.)   Seriously, what  does a communications major learn?