[lit-ideas] Re: FW: Re: Blind Leading the Not-so Blind

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 14:41:51 -0800

Irene:  You are making assumptions similar to those of Harold Pinter, namely
that the U.S. is implacable and inexorable.  We are somehow single-minded
and do not change.  I don't know how you can hold this view.  I have studied
political history and foreign affairs for a long time and there is no
single-mindedness in American politics.  The only thing you can count on is
that nothing can be counted on.  Our policies during the Cold War are not
our present polices.

The idea of spreading Democracy began (in recent times perhaps) with Bill
Clinton in the Balkans.   I recall one of Bush Jrs planks opposed this
Clintonian predilection:  We will not engage in nation building, Bush Jr
promised.  It is clear (to some of us - not Harold Pinter) that Bush Jr had
no intention of spreading Democracy to Afghanistan and Iraq when he took
office.   But after the 9/11 attack, new policy was needed.  If we were
going to depose regimes in Afghanistan and Iraq (deemed necessary in our war
against Terror), what were we going to replace them with?  I can recall
reading fairly persuasive arguments that we ought to replace them with
benign dictatorships.  But Bush is truer to our Liberal-Democratic tradition
in replacing them with democracies.

Will the democracies in Afghanistan and Iraq succeed?  They are not failing
as quickly as Bush's detractors predicted, but it is too soon to tell.  I
think we should do everything in our power to facilitate success, but beyond
that, it is too soon to tell.  It took many years for Japan to become a
successful democracy.  Perhaps it will take as long in Iraq.

I don't think much of the argument that Iraqis and Afghans aren't suited to
Democracy and freedom.  As someone pointed out to me off line, this argument
is very like the one used against freeing the slaves in the South.

Lawrence

  _____