[lit-ideas] FW: Re: Blind Leading the Not-so Blind

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 17:05:47 -0500

You might try reading A Continent for the Taking, Howard W. French.  The book
is on Africa and how the U.S. not only doesn't give a hoot about democracy
there, but we actually *support* strong arm thug dictators as long as they
deliver the goods.  He's writing specifically about Africa, however, Saddam was
our puppet until he stopped delivering; likewise the Shah was our puppet.  This
baloney called spreading democracy in Iraq is just a conjuring up of boogie men
to make excuses for our thuggery.  I'll admit there might be something to
Islamism, but they're a problem only if we're weak and holding out our hats
looking for loans to keep up afloat.  We are our enemy, Lawrence, not Islamism.
 If we spent the tiniest fraction on shoring up ourselves, the Islamists
wouldn't stand a chance.  Instead we empower bogey men.  I might remind you
that China doesn't have a problem buddying up to Africa and South America and
their oil.