[lit-ideas] FW: Re: Annie Proulx [antifreeze]

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 10:17:49 -0500

I see now what you're saying.  I looked it up.  You're talking about
propylene glycol, an agent used in foodstuffs.  It has de-icing properties,
like salt.  I've seen it in cosmetics too. That's what I know about
antifreeze.  It's probably used because ethylene glycol is so toxic to
animals.  There are better alternatives to most things.  Unfortunately,
often, if not usually they're not used.  In the discussion I  heard on
global warming, someone made the point that people are spending mega bucks
on McMansions and SUV's.  They could be putting that money into solar
panels and gas efficiency.  Instead, they destroy the Earth with it.
That's people for ya.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts96.html