[lit-ideas] Re: FW: RE: Re: Just read a novel

  • From: "Steve Chilson" <stevechilson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:08:18 +0100

I would venture to submit that if one is actually depressed, doing it
(caring?) for oneself is quite difficult, hence the depression.  That's
a very cynical reply, I believe, yours below.  On the other hand, if
people don't help themselves, who will?  Who knows?  Who cares?  We
can't all die with a baton in our hand conducting an arkestra.
Personally, I don't believe Andy expressing exhaustion with humanity is
depression nor depressing.  It isn't particularly insightful or
informative either but I'm certainly not bothered by it.   Not unless he
decides to load himself up with explosives to prove the point.  And even
then, not unless he detonates those explosives and even then, only if he
does it in front of me or in front of people I know.  So there, all the
proper qualifiers of "reality".  On the one hand and then on the
other...

But thanks for that poem earlier, Eric.

And make sure to root for the Mets tonight, even if it's only
subliminally.

On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 13:20:46 -0400, "Eric Yost"
<eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> Andy: My reason is a depressive (okay, I admit it),
> realistic wondering of, truly, who cares?
>

> Eric: If you don't, there's nobody to do it for you.

  Steve Chilson
  stevechilson@xxxxxxxxxxx

                          or over the web