[lit-ideas] Re: FW: RE: Re: Just read a novel

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 13:10:57 -0400

Who cares?

Eric: If you don't, there's nobody to do it for you.

Steve: That's a very cynical reply, I believe ...

Eric: "Cynical" implies that the putative cynic believes the worst human motives always prevail, and so caps her belief with a sneer or smirk. That's not my intention at all.

Try this substitute. Accept the fact that you are dying, probably a lot sooner than you expect, and that this is your time to care about things. You won't have another chance to care about things except in this brief interlude between the maternity ward and the crypt.

If you still can't bring yourself to care about things, recognize that you can end your life any time you choose. You're free to press the "off button" any time you want, and that gives you not only personal freedom and power, but also a certain amount of invulnerability. Nothing can get quite so bad that you can't end it by pressing "off," but it's up to you. Yet if you decide not to shut it off, your life is your responsibility, and it's up to you to care for it.

For another take on this, see Walker Percy's _Lost in the Cosmos: the last self-help book_, in the chapter called "Why Suicide is the Only Cure for Depression."