[lit-ideas] Re: FW: Corporate Welfare

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:18:21 -0500

"Matters to whom" is a point well taken. There are brilliant exceptions to my assertion, still, I contend, the driving force of this and of most Western societies, but America especially, is the pursuit of individual wealth. Maybe that's a good thing. Certainly wealth that frees the individual to pursue aesthetic and intellectual values is good in my book. But that's not the goal, as I see it, in our pursuit of wealth. Wealth itself is the goal. I appreciate that you answered my question. But I disagree with your answer, Mr. Sen notwithstanding. The individual pursuit of wealth as opposed to a societal wealth is the root of so much inequity in American life. If wealth were not all that mattered, you folks in advertising would have to work for a living -- just kidding. But consumerism is a friendly child of wealth, not its nemesis. Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Mike Geary
Memphis

----- Original Message ----- From: "John McCreery" <mccreery@xxxxxxx>