[lit-ideas] FW: Corporate Welfare

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 09:28:44 -0400

I hope people read this link, I should have done a preamble to it last night.
It's a critical issue.  In the meantime, Bush is appeasing China, on whose life
support we exist on $2 billion borrowed dollars per day.  There has to be
something in group psychology or some explanation where an entire population
(Congress and the corporate world) can blind itself to the damage it's doing to
the country it exists in.  Unless they're all planning on moving to China, I
don't get it.  The line between the corporate world and the government has been
all but erased, and yet the media still perpetuates the myth that N.O. was
about race, that he wouldn't allow it to happen to white people.  It wouldn't
happen to white people only if they had lots and lots of money to give to
Congress.  In the meantime, Congress is borrowing $2 billion a day from China
to keep itself going.  Other than Lou Dobbs, where's the outcry?  How many even
know this is happening?

"When the Speaker's gavel comes down, it's intended to open the People's House,
and lately it's looking like the Auction House," says Rep. Emanuel, "Whether
it's an energy bill that gives more $8 billion to the oil and gas interests
while oil's at $64 a barrel, whether it's a corporate tax bill solving a $5
billion problem with a $150 billion solution, whether it's a pharmaceutical,
prescription drug bill where the industry gave $132 million and walked away
with $135 billion in additional profits."
The corporate lobby has become more effective recently because it's hiring more
experienced players, in effect creating a "revolving door" between Capitol Hill
and K Street. In fact, 43 percent of the eligible congressional members who
departed government during that time have become lobbyists, while half of all
eligible departing senators have become lobbyists. Nearly 250 former members of
Congress and federal agency chiefs have become lobbyists since 1998, while more
than 2,200 former federal employees have registered as federal lobbyists.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/11/lobby.america/index.html