[lit-ideas] Re: FRIDAY POEM

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:41:19 EDT

I (belatedly, my life's been a mess recently.  Wait.   When hasn't that been
the case?) love this one.  I often, laying  next to my husband in the morning,
 in the half-consciousness of  waking, my brain racing like squirrels on a
wheel about yesterday,  tomorrow, today's needs, plans, ideas, dreams I had in
the night, people I have  to call, things I want to tell my husband that I
didn't have a chance to last  night, say to him, "So what are you thinking?".
And
he says.....  "Nothing". "Nothing?  You can't think about nothing.  You can't
not  think."  He says....I'm just laying here for a bit.  Enjoying laying
here.   For some of us it takes real work to achieve a place for a few  minutes
where our minds are emptied.  As a child I would lay in my bed,  trying to
sleep, saying over and over to myself "I'm not thinking of anything,  I'm not
thinking of anything" but of course I was thinking about what not  thinking of
anything meant or was like.  I'm forwarding this poem to my  husband who can,
apparently w/out effort, go into that blank-slate place.   I'm glad you posted
it, Eric.  I'll be looking for more of her  poetry.

Julie Krueger
w/ squirrels trapped in her head