[lit-ideas] Re: FAVORITE CHRISTMAS CAROL

  • From: david ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 10:45:46 -0800

McGonagall was prolific and quite Victorian on the subject, but not, I feel, at the height of his powers.
He was generally better suited to disastrous poems about disasters.

http://www.mcgonagall-online.org.uk/poems/lpgeve.htm

Or one called, "A Christmas Carol," which has Mary--assuming you remember your Nash-- seeming just a touch bovine.

The snow was on the ground when Christ was born,
And the Virgin Mary His mother felt very forlorn
As she lay in a horse's stall at a roadside inn,
Till Christ our Saviour was born to free us from sin.

http://www.mcgonagall-online.org.uk/poems/pgcarol.htm

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon