[lit-ideas] Re: Eyeing Iran

  • From: Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:33:42 -0400

Lawrence Helm wrote:

"If I owned all the kidney dialysis machines in the world and King Kong's
wife had a kidney problem, I suppose I would be within my right to deny her
treatment if I liked.  But then I wouldn't be surprised if King Kong got
upset."

This analogy isn't quite right.  What Andreas neglects is the fact that by
threatening the traffic of oil through the Straits, Iran is threatening the
traffic of oil from Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, and Qatar.  These
countries are happy to do business with whomever and probably less than
pleased with the Iranian threats.

It is a mistake to think that the Iranian threat regarding the Straits is
primarily about the U.S.  It is, first and foremost, a shot across the bow
of the above countries, letting them know who is the dominant regional
power.  Iran has established, through events in Iraq and Lebanon, that it
can influence politics throughout the region, and through the threats
regarding the Straits and the development of nuclear weapons, asserting its
ability to project its military power.

Perhaps the question ought to be, 'What makes Iran think that the oil from
these countries is theirs?'

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Glen Haven, NS