[lit-ideas] Re: Expectant Father (Was: Tautology)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 12:59:58 EDT

In a message dated 9/22/2004 12:42:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
McEvoy  would also say that since some women (sadly) give birth not even
knowing  what is happening until it is all over there is also a
counter-example to  the "expectant mother", unless we engage again in similar
"irresponsible  analyticism" ie. stipulating such a person is somehow not a
mother for the  purposes of the expression "expectant mother".

Here's an expression for  discussion as analytic/tautologous - "Popper was
bored by most analytic  philosophy as trivial and question-begging because of
the kinds of reason  given here by way of reply to JLS".

----

Well, thank you.

I now see what P. Stone thought when he thought that 'expectant mother' was
a tautology.

Apparently, 'expecting [sic, null set]' is "slang" for "... is  pregnant".

Since a father can not be pregnant, I can't see how McEvoy goes on to
justify the expression "expectant _father_". Surely synthetic a posteriori, and
posteriori false.

Now, as applied to 'mother', the idea is:

     "Alice is expecting" iff "Alice is  pregnant".

The path from "... is expecting" to " ... is an expectant mother" is
syntactic.

If we are broad-minded enough to apply 'expectant' for a _past_ adverbial
("She _was_ an expectant mother"), then, via the principle:

      Once an expectant mother,
          always an expectant  mother

-- then, _indeed_, 'expectant mother' _is_ tautologous (and indeed
redundant); for, surely, every mother has (to be, at some time) 'pregnant' and
that's
what the 'expecting' idiom merely means.

Cheers,

JL