[lit-ideas] Re: Exodus

  • From: Harold Hungerford <hh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 14:40:24 -0700

I looked at the reviews of Dahl. In theory, I agree with him that the
Senate and the Electoral College violate the modern principle of one
person-one vote. In practice, however, there is no possibility at all
of altering the Constitution to revamp them. No small state would vote
for such an amendment.

I live in California (pop. 35 million-odd); next door is Nevada (pop 2
million-odd). These are 2002 estimates. The six New England states have
14 million people, the "West North Central" states -- IA, KS, MO, MN,
NE, ND, SD -- have 19 million. So, counting Nevada, New England, and
the WNC states, it takes 14 states to equal California's population.
With one more state, that's enough to defeat any constitutional
amendment.

We have at least rectified the worst abuses embedded in the original
Constitution: the exclusion of women, Indians, and blacks, and the
property-rights restrictions on voting.

The notion of a constitutional convention to remake the Constitution
would give me the horrors.

As to proportional representation, I think the jury is still out. PR
certainly contributed significantly to the destabilization of many
European and Latin American governments during the last century. As a
practical matter, England doesn't have it: the two-party system is
still dominant.

And you may be thinking of Lainie Guinier.

Happy camping!

Hal

On Jul 7, 2004, at 7:31 PM, Veronica Caley wrote:

Harold and John,

Dahl is suggesting that we think about the reason or reasons for
upholding
the Constitution as it now stands.  And he thinks the two party system
is
undemocratic and prefers proportionality.  And he believes the
population
believes this as well.

A woman nominee to be head of the Civil Rights department in the Dept.
of
Justice  suggested this during Clinton's first term.  Needless to say,
she
was forced to step down just for saying this.  I can't find her name at
the
moment as I am camping in western Michigan.

Veronica