[lit-ideas] Re: Exercise

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <molleo1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 09:11:15 -0500

< a female anchor sits in the center,
a male anchor on her left (she's only got one left side, after all), >

I am truly glad to hear this. It's the only instance of a male anchor sitting to the left of a female anchor. I have never seen this here or when traveling. The weather person doesn't count as his air time is limited.

Prime time between 5:00 and 6:00 is on the radio, as people are usually driving home from work. Prime time on TV news here is 6:00 to 7:00. At noon here two women do the news. My comment refers only to when there is a man in the picture who is an anchor. In prime time AM a man anchors and the woman is to his left.

My reference is to stage right and left. I consider them all to be competent.

I have read about this seating arrangement before. I have also read that it was not easy for the women who were the first news readers. I remember reading something about Barbara Walters having a hard time of it and Connie Chung was considered an incompetent journalist by Dan Rather I think Walters was the first to break into national news.

I even remember a prayer I used to say about Jesus ascending to heaven and sitting on the right hand of God. One of the definitions of 'left' is sinister. My husband was denied a job once because he is left handed. I don't think this matters anymore with regard to jobs. But symbols matter, as Mr. Obama learned re flag lapel pin.

Veronica Caley

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Paul" <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>