[lit-ideas] Re: Every dogma has its day

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 18:25:58 -0700

JS,

Taking up your " . . .  He indeed claims that evolution in homo sapiens
sapiens (he sometimes drops the necessary second 'sapiens') . . .":  There
is indeed the theory that homo Neanderthalis should be designated Homo
Sapiens Neanderthalis because he preceded Homo Sapiens Sapiens in the
evolutionary tree.  This theory demands the interbreeding of Homo Sapiens
Sapiens and Homo Sapiens Neanderthalis with the former eventually surviving
through natural selection.

The second theory; which is the one I hold (for want of a convincing
argument to the contrary) is that Homo Sapiens in conflict with Homo
Neanderthalis defeated him and drove him along with the many species he
hunted into oblivion (extinction).

Here are two discussions of the two theories:
http://www.pnas.org/content/96/13/7117.long and
http://archaeologyinfo.com/homo-neanderthalensis/

The theory you present as "necessary" may eventually turn out to be the true
one, but unless you are privy to later research than that represented by my
two references, it isn't at this point "necessary."   Since both theories
are being held by reputable anthropologists it would seem that both
expressions, "homo sapiens" and "homo sapiens sapiens" ought to be
permitted, and, until some proof can be produced indicating an evolutionary
transition from Homo Neanderthalis to Homo Sapiens, I shall stick to the
more venerable "homo sapiens."

As to Bradshaw's book & Fox's review, why, I wonder, do they separate the
dog's "true" nature from "man's" true nature?  The latter is at least as
difficult to define.  Are these natures the ones Homo Sapiens and Canis
Familiaris shared throughout the longest period of their association, i.e.,
in a hunter-gatherer society?  I am inclined to think this is the safest
guess.  We are both malleable enough to leave our hunter-gatherer
arrangement and enter villages, towns and cities.  Maybe we humans have made
a healthy adjustment but I am inclined to think that we haven't, and we
should at least recognize that these bodies we were born with were designed
(through evolution) to hunt and gather and we did that for about 188,000
years (plus or minus a large number).  We have forced them to farm and live
in cities for a tiny period of time, less than 12,000 years.  Have our
hunter-gatherer bodies adjusted?  I doubt it.

Also, according to mitochondrial research, Canis Familiaris has existed for
about the same length of time (plus or minus a large number) as Homo
Sapiens; which means that by definition he has existed in association with
homo sapiens contributing his skills to the hunting and gathering
association.

Is there a psychological benefit to taking our dogs out hunting and
gathering?  I am inclined to think (or at least feel good about thinking)
that there is.  In one of the photos I posted in "The Twa Corbies," you can
see Ginger and Sage staring down from a dirt road into the brush.  There are
rabbits down there as they recall from the times we hiked through that
brush, but up on the road they just look.  They love to chase rabbits, but
it is too hard for them to hop down there on those rocks else they would.
The decision whether to take the road or enter the brush was made further
back; although Ginger tried to talk me into going into the brush.

How did she do that?  By walking along toward the brush and looking up at
me, urging me to go down there with her, but I said, "No, don't give me a
bad time.  Come up here with us."  And after a few moments she did.  I don't
use any obedience methods I've ever heard of.  We just hike along, quite
sure that putting one foot in front of the other is exactly what our
forebears did for about 188,000 years.

Lawrence

This