[lit-ideas] Re: Euthyphro & Habermas

  • From: Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 20:40:50 -0400

Mike Geary wrote:

"So the distinction in today's verbiage might be more meaningfully
translated as 'officially' and 'personally'?"

The danger with using 'personally' is the implication that what is said
applies only to the speaker.  In this case, the reasoning is constrained by
the preferences and prejudices of the individual, and so not free, and
therefore an instance of private reasoning.

What I failed to emphasize in my earlier comments is that public reasoning,
because it occurs under the condition of freedom, is available to anyone.
Now, in my case, my personal preferences and prejudices have a universal
quality, but this does not seem to be the case with anyone else.  For
everyone else, what is 'personal' is that which has authority only for that
individual.  For this reason, 'personally' probably wouldn't be the right
translation.

Mike:

"Now what I want to know is: How come some people just don't catch on?"

Cue discussion of the Euthyphro.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Glen Haven, NS