[lit-ideas] Re: Euthyphro & Habermas

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 15:57:02 -0330

Quoting Phil Enns <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Walter Okshevsky wrote:
>
> "... the distinction H. draws between ethical and moral issues/questions
> does draw on Kant's distinction between public and private reason. Although,
> as far as I know, H. never himself explicitly makes that connection
> himself."

Phil:
> "Religion in the Public Sphere" is essentially Habermas recontextualizing
> "What is Enlightenment?" within liberal democracy.

I haven't come across that essay by H., I don't think. Could you give us the
reference? When you say that the essay "is essentially ....", do you mean that
H himself states that that's what he's doing or is it your take on what he is
doing in that essay? (I'll look it up regardless, of course ... but if it's the
former, I'll look it up sooner.) Btw, Kant's distinction between public and
private reason has always seemed counter-intuitive to me. What we normally
understand by "public", he takes to be "private." Do you have a short but
accurate account of the difference? (I'd refer to a nutshell account, but it
would make things awfully crowded in there :-)

Walter C. Okshevsky
Memorial University