[lit-ideas] Re: Euthyphro & Habermas

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:40:59 -0330

Fascinating. Habermas is one of the greatest Kantian philosophers alive today.
What is it about his writings that would help put somebody to sleep? (I assume
that's the relevant sleep disorder you have in mind.) In other words, what kind
of philosophical interests in the area of practical reason would one have to
have in order to find Habermas soporifically uninteresting?
Cheers, Walter

Walter O.
MUN

P.S. Yes, I think Phil is mostly correct in his view that the distinction H.
draws between ethical and moral issues/questions does draw on Kant's
distinction between public and private reason. Although, as far as I know, H
never himself explicitly makes that connection himself. He is typically more
intent on differentiating Kantian (deontic) approaches from post-Aristotelian
(aretaic) approaches to matters to do with the nature and conditions of
practical reason. Such a strategy may mean that the distinction in Kant's moral
theory H. wishes to mine is that between the form of moral law and conceptions
of the good, together with the thesis of the priority of moral law over the
good. (RP's suggestion that I believe there to be some "metaphysical
necessity"
involved in this distinction, is oblique to me. Could it not simply be a
grammatical distinction?)

Happy Holidays to one and all.