[lit-ideas] Re: Euthyphro

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 14:42:07 -0800

Julie asks:

> Are you familiar with a very dated (copyright 1957) book "Ethics", by A. C.
> Ewing?  (It was still being used in University classes in the  1980's...)  If
> so, what do you think about it?  And what current books  on the subject would
> you recommend?  "Ethics" attempts to address the  question of where a moral
> system or a system of ethics comes from or  arises.  When I was studying such
> things, when the dinosaurs roamed the  earth, there was a very cut and dried
> distinction made between "ethics" and  "morality".  Is that still the case in
> current philo?

I'm not familiar with Ewing's book or his views. The books wasn't used by
anybody at the places I've taught (a really weak inductive argument for its not
being widely used or talked about).

I wonder what the 'very cut and dried' distinction between ethics and morality
that you once knew was? I'm sure that almost all Anglo-American philosophy
departments offer a course called 'Ethics,' 'Advanced Ethics,' (or at Toronto,
'Extreme Ethics.') These courses deal with moral issues. ('Business Ethics,'
'Medical Ethics,' and so on are largely bogus courses that deal with moral
problems allegedly unique to these fields.) The distinction between ethics and
morality is primarily linguistic, i.e., it's a matter of usage and preference.

Walter thinks, apparently, that there's a real metaphysical difference between
ethics and morality, but I'm not so sure. It's 'unethical' for a legal guardian
to appropriate her ward's funds for her personal use. It's also morally wrong,
one would think.

> 'Ethics'-- 'see moral philosophy.'
> (From The Oxford Companion to Philosophy)

Robert Paul
reed.edu