[lit-ideas] Re: Europe's humiliating history

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 09:10:11 +0000 (GMT)

Let's forget Britain is part of Europe. Your post is after all not really about
Europe, it's "let's slag off de Gaulle and France again, especially re Vichy
France (not that the US wasn't feeble them too)".

I looked up de Gaulle's speech, and read about the liberation of Paris.  Some
Free French troops were stopped -- stopped by the Americans, with, apparently,
 the  shameful acquiescence of the British -- from taking part in the triumphal
entry into Paris.  Because they were black.  Two-thirds of Free French forces
were black.  De Gaulle was told French troops could lead the triumphal entry
into Paris only if the French force was all-white. There was no all-white
French division.  Black soldiers were booted out.

But let's all go on about Vichy France...