[lit-ideas] Re: Europe's humiliating history

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Lit-Ideas" <Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 22:18:34 -0800

Furthermore, for the purposes of war, Britain, Canada, New Zealand,
Australia and the United States are not Europe.  They are the allies who
rescue European states like France, Belgium, the Netherlands, when other
European States like Germany, Italy and Serbia get them into trouble.

I've noticed that whenever I speak of European humiliation meaning France,
someone is bound to challenge me meaning Britain.  I do not distinguish
between Britain and the U.S. in regard to the fighting of the Second World
War -- except that Patton was a much better General than Montgomery.

I realize that there are a few Brits who think of themselves as Europeans,
but we have a few Americans who think the same thing, our President for
example.  Nevertheless France thought of us as one word, Anglo-Americans and
we really were during that war -- along with the Canadians, New Zealanders
and Australians.

Lawrence
in rainy San Jacinto