[lit-ideas] Re: Europe's September 11 ?

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 01:06:24 -0800 (PST)

--- Scribe1865@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Standard Time,
> goya@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> "The alternatives open to Spain are to take the same
> route as France,
> Germany, and many other European countries: they can
> henceforth cease their slavish
> adulation of a corrupt, imperialist and hegemonic
> American government, refrain
> from illegal invasions of secular states that have
> *diddly-squat* to do with
> terrorism, and respect the international rule of
> law."
>
> That way, when Spain is attacked again, they will
> have allies who will do . . . what?

And UK and USA helped Spain how? I mean I'm sure Bush
and Blair offer any assistance they can, but what
exactly can they do? Trans-Atlantic politics have
little to do with fighting terrorism because what is
called war on terrorism has little to do with fighting
terrorism in the first place. Intelligence
co-operation, freezing of assets, etc. were I believe
first advanced by the French and only after 9/11 did
USA co-opt the cause. USA and European countries have
every reason to co-operate on these matters and none
not to, and they do which is a very good thing indeed.

I've read several condemnations of Spain's government
to be for caving in to terrorists by pulling out of
Iraq, thus giving al Qaeda exactly what they wanted.
Had they not, they would be accused of breaking their
campaign promise and allowing terrorists to draw them
deeper in the conflict thus giving al Qaeda exactly
what they wanted.

I may personally not agree with the decision, but the
real blame here falls to Anzar for dragging a country
into a war in the first place despite nearly unanimous
opposition by his own people. It is not courageous
leadership but a mockery of democracy even if done for
best of reasons. Or as a prominent Finnish politican
put it after a particulary bitter defeat: "People have
spoken. End of discussion."

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland