[lit-ideas] Re: Europe, Thy Name Is Cowardice

  • From: Teemu Pyyluoma <teme17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 03:46:13 -0700 (PDT)

I got the gap feeling reading the article, and by that
I don't necessarily mean a gaping mouth. The kind of
feeling you get when someone hysteric runs up to you
and starts going on about what has terrified him. You
try to get him to slow down and explain what exactly
is wrong not only to calm him but also to figure out
what has happened.

For example, the following: "For his policy of ____
confronting Islamist terrorism head on, ____ Bush
risks the fall of the dollar, huge amounts of
additional national debt, and a massive and persistent
burden on the American economy. But he does this
because, unlike most of Europe, he realizes that ____
what is at stake is literally everything that really
matters to free people." In the gaps above, I search
in vain for an explanations. Dollar is falling because
Bush attacked Afganistan, and we Europeans should be
ashamed for not being (more?) involved.

But I guess we "know it in our hearts", like we know
that Soviet Union collapsed because of Reagan, and not
because it was corrupt, had ridiculuous economic
system, repressed its citizens, and those of allies
too... in short was so bad that Russia AD 2005 can
actually be considered a marked improvement.

Seriously, anyone can come up with list of examples of
wars that should've been fought and wars that
shouldn't have been fought, and then argue for caution
or war. Which means that what whether hawks or doves
in general are right is the wrong question.

Cheers,
Teemu
Helsinki, Finland

http://mail.yahoo.com