[lit-ideas] Re: Euclid's Theorem

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2013 15:54:11 -0700

JL wrote

Euclid said, somewhat out of the 'blue':

"There are infinitely many prime numbers".

Not really.

From

<http://primes.utm.edu/notes/proofs/infinite/euclids.html>

The ancient Greeks also did not have our modern (sic) notion of infinity. School children now easily understand lines as infinite, but the ancients were again more concrete (in this regard). For example, they viewed lines as segments that could be extended indefinitely (not something infinite that we view just part of). For this reason Euclid could not have written "there are infinitely many primes," rather he wrote "prime numbers are more than any assigned multitude of prime numbers."

This seems a plausible account.

An English translation of the Elements Book IX, proposition 20.

<http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/java/elements/bookIX/propIX20.html>

In, The Man Who Knew Infinity: A Life of the Genius Ramanujan, by Robert Kanigel (1992), there's an elegant little proof that there can be no greatest prime. Indeed, it's such a short proof that I'm now wondering whether it's sufficient to prove what I remember its setting out to prove.

Robert Paul,
beside the wine-dark sea