[lit-ideas] Re: Ethnic Humour (Was: History of Humour)

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 20:56:49 -0700

on 9/8/04 8:39 PM, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx at Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Thanks. I wonder how specific one can go as to give a taxonomy of 'ethnic'
> types of humor. You have "American humor", and "Southern humor" (i.e. American
> Southern humor).
>
> You have "French humor" and "Canadian humor"; "British humor" and "English
> humor" and "Scots humour", "Scottish humour" and "Celtic humour", and
> "Highland
> humour," vs. "Lowland humour" -- and "Hebridean humour".
>

> But then you have, I suppose, "Yorkshire humour" vs. "Cockney humour". I
> wonder if a list can be given of books or articles that go into the specifics
> of
> these kinds of 'ethnic' humour.
>
> "Japanese humour" as distinguished from general "Asian" humour, for example
> -- and so on.
>
> (It should be understood that "Yorkshire humour" is humour that Yorkshire
> people find amusing (if that's not a tautology) -- and not humour 'involving'
> Yorkshire people).

These are good questions.  We spent this afternoon discussing the varieties
of smiles, locating ourselves in the present anthropologically--I set
students the task of observing how and when and why people smiled.  From
here we will voyage into the past; one of the issues will be the many ways
in which people have considered otherness to be funny and us-ness to be a
source of succor.

Any help and guidance from this list will be welcome.

David Ritchie
Portland, Oregon