[lit-ideas] Re: Ethics - Frozen in time: the disabled nine-year-old girl ...

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 14:02:18 EST

Thanks for the link!  I suppose most subscribers to the list simply  felt the
bruhaha was so ridiculous that it wasn't worth bothering looking  at.  I felt
there were several elements to the situation,  medically,  ethically,
legally, that could be explored with some benefit.  But whaddo I  know.

 Yes, temp is key to bread -- and I've never figured out exactly the  right
place in the house to put said dough.  My Mother (when I was young  and she had
time on her hands instead of a cell phone or a cordless phone or  e-mail)
made wonderful bread -- and pie-crusts I can never  replicate.   As a child,
helping kneed the bread on the wood block was  an exceptionally pleasurable
sensory experience -- texture, aroma, a way to drum  out stress <g>, and
somehow
oddly comforting.  I adored the fragrance  and feel of it.  I tried to learn
her
secrets to  making successful hand-made bread for years.  Finally gave up.  My
hand-made bread always ended up with the density of a brick loaf, and  about
the same size.  I have fallen back on non-yeast breads (banana nut  bread
variations, e.g.), and my bread machine.  I was both amused and  non-plussed
many
years ago when bread machines were the latest fad, to read  articles
indicating that owners and their close neighbors were terribly annoyed  at the
"odor"
of bread rising and cooking.

Personally that was more of a perk for me than the actual bread!   Again.
Whaddo I know.

Julie Krueger
reminiscing

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Ethics - Frozen
in time: the disabled nine-year-old  girl ...  Date: 1/25/2007 11:54:58 A.M.
Central Standard Time  From: _Ursula@xxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx)
To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
Hi Julie,  you don't remember the parents  names because they were never
identified.  I typed 'ashley stunted  growth and got lots of news sites.
I was a bit surprised that no one  else commented on this story at the
time -- Alex had asked the original  question.  Here is her paren't
website...
http://ashleytreatment.spaces.live.com/

Bread is  easy.   My son has taken over most of the cooking and baking (I
get to wash the dishes...).   His bread is better than  mine.   The
secret is in the temperature and the TLC.    He's playing with poolish
now.  I think it's  googleable...
Best,
Ursula