[lit-ideas] Re: Ethics - Frozen in time: the disabled nine-year-old girl ...

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 08:44:24 EST

When I read the story I had very much the same reactions.  I couldn't  figure
out why all the hype and furor.  I'm interested -- do you still have  a link
to the parents' web-site?  I've lost track of their names for  googling
purposes.

I have never ever, ever had success with bread rising.  What's the  secret???

I bought a bread machine.  It takes care of the rising thing for  me.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Ethics - Frozen
in time: the disabled nine-year-old  girl who will remain a child  Date:
1/4/2007 9:03:28 P.M. Central Standard Time  From: _Ursula@xxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
  Sent on:
An interestingly manipulative title.  Her  mental age is already frozen
in time.   Why get hung up on the  fact that her body will also not
mature?   Stunting her body will  not hamper her 'growth' any more than
her damaged brain has already.

I have been to the parents' website and have found their arguments
convincing.   I particularly found some of the emotional comments  left
by others thought provoking.   One woman wrote of her 6 ft  son with the
mind of an 18 month old (those terrible two's, remember) and  how
difficult it was (for him and for her) not to be able to hold and
comfort (and restrain) him in a way that parents of 18 month olds take
for granted.   Ashley will remain small enough to hold and comfort  and
rock and carry.   I can't help but agree that that will  improve her
quality of life.  The fact that there is a gray moral area  between her
case and cases of less disabled children where parents may also  wish to
make life-altering decisions for their children is no reason to  oppose
this decision.

Some of the objectors have raised the  specter of reopening the door to
enforced sterilization.  This, too,  seems irrelevant to Ashley's case.
The doctors have said that her  mental age is 3 months.   Leaving her
reproductive capabilities  intact can add nothing to her life or her
dignity or her  possibilities.

It's also a question of where the 'self'  lies.   The outside world sees
the 'self' from the outside.   They see the body.   And the medical
interference with the natural  growth of that is somehow seen as
horrendous.   Her parents are  the ones who know her the best.  They
have, perhaps, seen past the  body.  And they've decided that the
three-month old mind they've come  to love does not belong in an adult's
body, could not cope with adult  emotions and adult physical changes,
needs protection from fear and  confusion.

If we insist that her quality of life or freedom  or dignity is somehow
lessened by these decisions about her body, mustn't we  entertain the
thought that every woman who cannot have children is somehow  incomplete,
that every size-challenged person is somehow  undignified.   Or is it
just the fact that she didn't make these  decisions herself?  Are her
parents supposed to wait until she  understands the question?

Ashley will have to be carried everywhere she  goes for the rest of her
life.  She will get carried a lot more if  she's small.   That's a huge
plus -- huge enough to compensate for  the minuses (if there are any).

I can't see into her parents'  motivations, of course, but even if they
made these decisions for their own  convenience and peace of mind, Ashley
will still benefit.

That's what I think tonight, at any rate.  Other thinking still to  come...

Ursula
watching her bread rise in North  Bay