[lit-ideas] Re: Essay on New Orleans

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 01:23:15 +0100

Friday, September 2, 2005, 1:05:18 AM, Carol Kirschenbaum wrote:

>> New York hadn't collapsed as a community and wasn't full of angry
>> people who felt they'd been let down.

CK> ck: When the towers were hit, people trapped inside, and on the street, had
CK> no idea what was going on. Terrified people in chaos. Yet early on, stories
CK> emerged about people sacrificing themselves to help others get
CK> downstairs--people hauling others, calling out, trying.

Yes.  But first, it's now 4/5 days since the hurricane hit, and second
there's no real city infrastructure left, and conditions have got
worse and worse during these days and people are starving, or dying
from lack of medical care.  Second people in New Orleans have been
helping each other.

CK> Those businesses
CK> that capitalized on the misery were publicly shamed.

there are no businesses in New Orleans that can capitalise on
anything.

CK> But it wasn't just 9/11. New Yorkers seem to have an in-the-trenches
CK> mentality, overall calming and helpful during a crisis. Same with London and
CK> the UK, in general. A certain civility reigns. Not so now in New Orleans,
CK> nor in Los Angeles. Hot climate theory of civilization, anyone?

Huh.  (Yes it is pretty civil hereabouts.)  There are climate theories
of culture and I bet heat and humidity don't help

--

                             mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx