[lit-ideas] Re: Erin's Course Dilemma

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 23:20:32 EST

Ex-ist.  To stand outside of.  Insist?  to stand inside  of?

Being.

Why is there no pure & simple word for being?

oussia?

Julie Krueger
still don't ask about my day
it has to do with teenagers, massive headcolds, older teenagers, insurance,
employment opportunities, aging ill parents, banks, more teenagers, and more
insurance.  oh and the cars and phone lines and ice.  Yeah,  that.

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Erin's Course
Dilemma  Date: 1/18/05 9:14:03 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andreas Ramos wrote:

"I read that as 'In  order for the coffee mug to exist, there must first
be linguistic  expression.'"

I have intentionally avoided any reference to things  existing.  I can't
think of a more pointless argument then over the  question of whether x
exists or what is needed for x to  exist.

Andreas again:

"There are many things that have no  names."

Of course.  The issue is not things that have yet to be  named but how we
go about identifying those things that need names.  My  argument is that
we can only recognize these things because we already have  names for
similar things.  Something that is unlike anything we know now  will have
to wait as we inch our way towards  it.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto,  ON