[lit-ideas] Re: Erin's B.Day

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 08:20:40 -0700

My birthday present to Erin: a lesson in the cultural politics of the World Cup in Scottish pubs. Just so she knows. Mostly you're supposed to support Trinidad, because they've got people playing for them who make a living in Scotland, but you can support England in some pubs, although not if you want them to go all the way to the final, unless you once were a member of a parachute regiment, and then you can support anyone you damn well choose.

Was Erin ever a member of a parachute regiment? I seem to remember loose talk of her joining the I.D.F.

http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=882942006

My vote? Trinidad should thrash Sweden, get through to the next round, play England again in the final...but that's only because one of Trinidad's players used to make a living in Portland, and because they're fun to watch. Otherwise, even though they're not particularly fun to watch, England all the way.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon