[lit-ideas] Re: Erin (and Ursula) in Berlin ... and Chris in Dresden

  • From: Chris Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 19:51:08 +0200

On 8. Sep 2006, at 01:08, Ursula Stange wrote:

Yes...Berlin is great. I was there for the first time just 10 days ago (sandwiched between Paris and Riga).
Great food. Great wine. Great people. Great people watching. Great museums -- although I missed the Kathe Kollwitz...damn. More great museums. Great modern architecture. Great fusion of past and future.
Great...Great...Great...

I don't want to start school tomorrow. Take me back to Berlin...

From: Erin Holder <erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx> Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 07:30:53 -0400

Oh my god...
I LOVE BERLIN!!!
this is the best fucking city in the world.

OK, time for more beer.
YAY!!!!

Hm... food is also a necessity.  Must remember that...

Erin
Berlin

I, too, was in Berlin for the first time this year. And I liked it very much, indeed. But I'm wondering whether these judgements by Erin and Ursula of Berlin as superlative aren't a little hasty. Have you both - or either of you; or any other Lit-Idealists, for that matter - been to Dresden lately?

Being of a dialectical frame of mind, I was particularly taken (during my 4-day visit in April of this year) by the contrast between the tourist-overrun 'alte Schinken' (literally 'old hams' - as one native, referring to the baroque architectural gems that give rise to the name 'Florence on the Elbe', put it), and the thriving 'counter-cultural' scene in the 'Neustadt' ('New City' - an area of Dresden more 'recently' annexed by the old city - i.e., in 1549 - and 'newly' rebuilt after a fire in 1685) area of Dresden just across the river. (Although nominally a 'child of the sixties', I thanked my lucky stars - or was it good judgement? - that I'd never experimented with the then-popular 'psychedelic' drugs; even without them I had to argue with myself continuously that I was not experiencing the mother of all 'flashbacks'!).

Although Dresden's botanical garden is not a patch on Jena's (even though I have only seen the latter in mid-winter), other features of the city make Dresden one of my favourites. Perhaps i am overly-influenced by the luck I had in the coincidental opening of the streetcar museum during my visit, which allowed me the opportunity not only to tour the city on the modern system, but also to take 'cross-city' rides in streetcars from the 1960's and 1920's (to be accurate: the latter was a reconstruction). Some of the people we passed by on the street literally dropped their jaws at the sight of us (esp. in the '20's model) whizzing by; others, obviously forewarned of the routes to be taken by the historical cars, were waiting on street-corners with the widest range of tripod-erected digital and film still and video cameras I have yet seen).

Much of downtown Dresden is still under (re)construction, much of which is driven by enterprises (and entrepreneurs) that (sadly) lend a seemingly inevitable homogeneity to commercial areas of many large German cities. But - at least to my eyes - certain particular historic and geographic features of Dresden have resulted in a 'cultural - counter-cultural' dialectic that, while certainly ongoing in cities like Berlin, Munich and Hamburg as well, is more obviously present (especially to a visitor on a short stay).

Chris Bruce
Kiel, Germany