[lit-ideas] Re: Eric Banks's Antiphilosophical Philosophy

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 22:18:30 -0400 (EDT)

It seems the antiphilosophical philosophy is Eric  Banks's?
Cheers,
Speranza
---
Banks is the former editor in chief of Bookforum and currently the
president of the National Book Critics Circle.

In a message dated 8/22/2012 9:49:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx writes:

From _a review of Witold  Gombrowicz's diary_
(mailto:http://www.bookforum.com/inprint/019_02/9472) . Literature, philosophy,
Lit-Ideas

Whatever confessions fill these pages, they are as  philosophical as they
are personal, though in Gombrowicz’s universe the two  can never be neatly
separated. It would slight his arsenal of caustic bad  humor to say he
reserved the driest of his ammunition for those who would  philosophize from on
high, but he savaged the engagé model  of the intellectual with special glee
whenever the occasion arose. Look at how  he pulled the rug out from under
Sartre:

When I applied maximum consciousness to life, in  an attempt to found my
existence on [authenticity], I noticed that  something stupid was happening to
me. Too bad, but no way. It can’t be  done. It seems impossible to meet the
demands of Dasein and  simultaneously have coffee and croissants for an
evening snack. To fear  nothingness, but to fear the dentist more. To be
consciousness, which  walks around in pants and talks on the telephone. To be
responsibility,  which runs little shopping errands downtown.

This dismissal of all philosophy “speculated in  isolation from life”
would carry much less of a spark had it not come from a  writer who had studied
philosophy as a young man in Paris, whose Ferdydurke was  championed as a
kind of naive but no less sage anticipation of the postwar  gospels holding
sway on the Left Bank, who in fact peddled a course in  philosophy in Buenos
Aires as a way to help supplement his income. Yet how  decisively Gombrowicz
lets the air out of the philosophical balloon!
It's cranking up to be another blistering August day in Yokohama.

Cheers,

John

--
John McCreery