[lit-ideas] Eponyms

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 14:27:29 -0400

Happened to find this today...related to that yesterday...
"Plato returned to Athens and founded his Academy <http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/%7Ehistory/Societies/Plato.html> in Athens, in about 387 BC. It was on land which had belonged to a man called Academos, and this is where the name "Academy" came from."

What if the land Plato purchased had belonged to Iolaus or Copreus? What would the Naval Academy be called? What would the Academy Awards be called?
What would those of us who toil in academe be called? Ursula

Ursula Stange wrote:

When I first became a Canadian back in the late sixties, I was charmed at the poetry of fighting a battle on the Plains of Abraham (this is the one between Wolfe and Montcalm for control of what is now Canada). It has such a fated, Biblical sound. But Abraham was just the farmer who owned the land. So we could have had the Plains of Ernie, or the Plains of Louis. My favourite story about Wolfe says that his wife sent him a copy of Gray's Elegy in a Country Churchyard.. On the night before the battle, he is reputed to have told someone near and dear that he would rather have written that book than win the morrow's battle. So much poetry in the world...
Ursula
in North Bay