[lit-ideas] Re: English Typo Schools

  • From: eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 17:50:44 -0500

To show that there was a difference between the two and that it did not
necessarily follow that outlawing spanking would outlaw all child abuse.   In
fact, the Swedish study would support that. You seemed to think that if one
outlawed ALL spanking, that child abuse would be also eliminated. That is not
true.

Here in this country, we have decided to focus on the child abuse/beating
aspect of spanking. There are consequences for that--and they might be glad of
that when I'm 95 years old and carrying one of LH's items in my knitting or
scrapbooking bag <g> (just kidding...)

There are severe consequences for drunk driving (you may not realize it as
there are so many ads for getting people out of those consequences--but they
exist and they are law) and the severe end of what happens when there is an
excess of lack of care in the drinking is also down.  Moderation is not
necessarily a bad thing...

and, though, yes, I think there are healthier and more productive means of
establishing limits, etc., for children, I also am pretty pragmatic and know we
have also a culture to deal with and limited resources. Sweden spent an
incredible amount of resources blanketing their nation with the reasons why
they were passing that law and what would happen if you violated it as well as
what 'good' would come from it. We just don't have the sort of resources to hit
all the areas in our country--not in a short amount of time.  So, we do what we
can -- and it IS working and it might not be as quickly of a change in our
culture as you would like, but it is happening...and if we can address the
broken bones and horrible bruises versus the swats, and have to choose one from
the other--I think we chose the most significant issue to do. (again--it's not
that the other is not being addressed--just a matter of priorities of time,
resources)

Best,
Marlena