[lit-ideas] Re: English Pubic Schools

  • From: eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 14:21:02 -0500

Hi, Stan,
Thanks for the post.
I think that was (somewhat) my point.

When Irene/Andy advocates making it competely totally against the law to strike
or spank someone-anyone-especially a child, she/he is trying to state (I
thought) that it would keep it from happening at all.

I was hoping to point out, somewhat indirectly, that it did not happen with
Prohibition (and yay, someone did pick up on that part <g>), so that perhaps
that might be why the steps have been taken to outlaw the severe
beating/bruising of children versus the swat to get someone to not run out in
the street.

In fact, I was recently looking at the levels of alcohol drinking for young
adults--it is significantly down. (alot of that has to do with the DARE
programs which assign cops from local police forces or sherrifs or similar
types to teach the curriculum. Those programs are all on Bush's chopping block
again, too--)  In fact, the advertising for 'don't drink and drive' has also
significantly cut down the numbers of young ones who do that--they are very
aware and tend to either designate drivers, arrange to stay over wherever or
get some other person to come and pick them up.

I think focusing on the horrific aspects of child abuse and setting up dire
consequences to those is somewhat similiar to that being done with driving
under the influence, etc.  The educating on alternate strategies of discipline
besides spanking, providing parent education classes, etc is similiar to that
of the DARE programs, the ads espousing 'don't drink and drive' and such.

Hopefully that helps clarify what I was trying to say...and at least the MAIN
point was communicated! <wry look>

Best,
Marlena