[lit-ideas] Re: English Pubic Schools

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 08:23:49 EST

In a message dated 2/17/2006 6:59:34 A.M. Central Standard Time,
aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Marlena, what a  shock, you support spanking.

Dear Irene,
Where where did you ever get such an idea?

You come and talk to anyone anyone that I know and find out if I support
spanking.

I do NOT.  I said--but in a very practical tone--that there is a huge
difference, though, between spanking as a swatt and spanking as beating.

There is a difference.

Would you like pictures?

In the State of Missouri, you will have your children taken away from you  if
you leave bruises on them.  This comes from beating.

You will not get them taken away (generally) from spanking with no  bruises.

There is a difference.

Do I advocate for either one?

No.

Do all Christians advocate spanking?

No.

Get that?  Understand?  Do I need to say it again:  "Not all  Christians
advocate spanking."

I understand that you woke up on the wrong side of the bed (i think you
perpetually do so--maybe it has to do with your husband being gone during the
week and you project that frustration out on this list <wry look> and  that's
okay--we've seen lots of people do that on this list because of varying
reasons)

but you must understand:

I do not advocate spanking.

I have resources for people who are interested in them (where are
yours--other than your say-so)  I can get you sources--studies.

There IS, though, a difference between spanking and beating.

It is extremely disrespectful to those who have been severely beaten to put
them and their pain in the same category as you are putting those who have
been  swatted and slightly spanked.

The cop has one of the most incredibly caring thoughtful wonderful boys  that
I have ever met.  He is a great model for other kids--helpful,  courteous,
kind, trustworthy, loyal, brave, thrifty, reverent, respectful to  all, etc
etc.
 If all kids ended up like he is--the world will be an  awesomely incredible
place.  And oh, my.  To see how this child is  reaching into the world of the
boy whose father just died--it's something to see  how he can be an anchor to
another one of those boys who is a Gift.  Do not  even dare to sneer about my
friend and his wife who are the parents of that  wonderful boy.  They have
done an awesome job as parents.

What would you have done with the kid who was beating her  mother?

If you were the cop?

If you were the mother?

What would you say to the parents wringing their hands because their child
was ruling their home and who refused to go to school?

Does the cop in that story advocate spanking?  Did I say  that?  No.  I said
we advocated discipline--and that is accomplished  in many different ways.

Read the book:  How to Discipline Without Shouting or Spanking.   It's an
easy read.  There are lots of others.  There is also a cool  series that is
much
used which talks about the different possible ways to  discipline/raise a
child based on his/her developmental stages:  How to  Raise Your Six to Eight
Year
Old , etc etc.

Do all Christians advocate spanking?

no

(and just because I respect many Christians does not mean that many
Christians would agree with my theology <g> and that is okay.)

kick a dog -- remember that little tale which explains projection?

Best,
Marlena in Missouri