[lit-ideas] Re: English Pubic Schools

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 00:19:10 -0500

Do you believe the earth goes around the sun?  Just wondering.

> >Or, we love our parents but we drink, or are passive aggressive with a
boss
> >or have anxiety or depression or whatever.  I know you don't believe it,
> >but that doesn't change the dynamic.
>
> BULLSHIT!

How about magic?  Do you believe things happen by magic?

> >Cats are tiny, how could you hit a cat?  My cat just today looked like
she
> >was going to bite the cord on the electric blanket.  I touched her,
> >literally touched her and said in a regular voice, what are you doing?
> >Let's go, come on.  She looked at me, all but smiled, and we walked out
of
> >the room together.  I have NEVER had a problem with her.  And I have
NEVER
> >hit her.  Technically, yeah, I guess I can imagine a lot of things, but
I'd
> >rather not.
>
> What do you do if she knocks over a plant filled with VERY black
> plant dirt on a WHITE rug worth thousands of dollars that you JUST
> had installed? Do you say calmly, "hey, kitty, don't touch the plants"?

There's always the pound.

> >The consequences wind up in the unconscious, the thing you don't believe
> >in.  The kid straightens up, but the fact is, if you hit somebody,
they'll
> >hate you.  It's that simple.
>
> They will NOT hate me. they will realize about at the age of 25 years
> old that "holy shit, mom and dad DID know better than me!"

Correct.  They'll hate their spouse, their boss, the wrong political party.
But deep down, it's all the same displaced hatred of those who made them
feel scared and powerless originally.  By your definition, we should have a
very happy world.  Everyone should be behaving themselves, because nearly
everybody gets hit.  Did you read Mike's account?  That's normal in
much/most of the world.  Yet 9/11 happened.  Iraq happened.  Animal abuse
happens.   That guy in Mike's school who beat the kid bloody was most
likely, forget it, was guaranteed to have himself been beat up.   Nowadays
biographers, forensics people, nearly everybody looks at home life.  Why do
you think that is?  (Rhetorical question.)

>  > You're being completely ridiculous. I won't need an ass smack. I
> > > learned to do these things when i was a kid and i NEEDED to learn.
> > > You better revisit your psychohistory. Tell me what do you do if your
> > > kid doesn't put his glass in the dishwasher for the 50th time?
> >
> >Maybe the kid is telling you something.  Maybe he's depressed.  Maybe
he's
> >being bullied in school.  Maybe that's the only way he knows to get
> >attention.  Maybe a lot of things.  But don't worry about why he's not
> >listening, just beat him and he'll do what you want.
>
> Maybe he's a lazy dickhead.

Sure makes life easy to have it all figured out that way.  People don't
care about their kids.  Lazy dickhead is enough for them.  Did you know
that 4 out of 5 families don't learn sign language if there's a deaf child
in the family?  That's an example of how much people care about their kids.
Lazy dickhead saves a lot of time and covers a lot of ground.

> >What about if he's going to step in
> > > front of a bus?
> >

> >Is he suicidal, is that what you're saying?  All the more reason to stop
> >with the spanking crap and start with the relating.
>
> BY ACCIDENT. Sheesh, you take everything as if it's a deliberate act
> of nihilism.

Somebody does something by accident, and your answer is to beat them?  So
if you slide on ice into someone's car, you deserve a beating.  This is
like, weird.

> >Or, it takes a man to be a dad, depending on how you look at it.  Being a
> >man means protecting the little guy, not terrorizing him/her.
>
> Your "terrorizing" is awfully broad. alpha = spanking omega = blowing
> people up on buses.

Terrorize a kid and those little neurons imprint forever.  The problem too
is that people who will terrorize a child most likely aren't going out of
their way to have a relationship either.  They care about themselves, not
the kid.  Lazy dickheads can be pretty angry people.