[lit-ideas] Re: English Pubic Schools

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 21:17:04 -0600

John McCreery wrote:

On 2/17/06, Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Nobody's talking about coddling. We're talking cuddling and not beating.

Again, an argument based on simplistic and false dichotomies. Cuddling is vital. So are chores and bedtime stories; my daughter got lots of all these things. Spanking is useful only in moderation and only on those young enough to learn its lesson without feeling horribly humiliated.

I spanked my (now grown) daughter a few times, maybe 2 or 3. One swat on the bottom. I told her that the ONLY reason I might do this is if it was a "safety" issue. And then I stuck to it. Parents who hit out of a lack of control are the larger problem, and parents who are too liberal handing out deliberate corporal punishment are a lesser problem.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx
Lisle, IL, USA