[lit-ideas] Re: Englehardt, Cold Warrior in a Strange Land

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 19:43:37 +0000 (GMT)

--- Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If this guy is a military historian, I feel sorry
> for the people who took
> his classes.  One can intuitively know he is all wet
> by three facts.
>(etc.)

as Omar told you, it's Chalmers Johnson, not
Engelhart.

Chalmers Johnson is president of the Japan Policy
Research Institute, a non-profit research and public
affairs organization devoted to public education
concerning Japan and international relations in the
Pacific. He taught for thirty years, 1962-1992, at the
Berkeley and San Diego campuses of the University of
California and held endowed chairs in Asian politics
at both of them. At Berkeley he served as chairman of
the Center for Chinese Studies and as chairman of the
Department of Political Science. His B.A., M.A., and
Ph.D. degrees in economics and political science are
all from the University of California, Berkeley.

He first visited Japan in 1953 as a U.S. Navy officer
and has lived and worked there with his wife, the
anthropologist Sheila K. Johnson, virtually every year
since 1961. Chalmers Johnson has been honored with
fellowships from the Ford Foundation, the Social
Science Research Council, and the Guggenheim
Foundation; and in 1976 he was elected a fellow of the
American Academy of Arts and Sciences. He has written
numerous articles and reviews and some fifteen books,
including Peasant Nationalism and Communist Power on
the Chinese revolution, An Instance of Treason on
Japan's most famous spy, Revolutionary Change on the
theory of violent protest movements, and MITI and the
Japanese Miracle on Japanese economic development.
This last-named book laid the foundation for the
"revisionist" school of writers on Japan, and because
of it the Japanese press dubbed him the "Godfather of
revisionism."

He was chairman of the academic advisory committee for
the PBS television series "The Pacific Century," and
he played a prominent role in the PBS "Frontline"
documentary "Losing the War with Japan." Both won Emmy
awards. His most recent books are, as editor and
contributor, Okinawa: Cold War Island (Cardiff,
Calif.: Japan Policy Research Institute, 1999); and
Blowback: The Costs and Consequences of American
Empire (New York: Holt Metropolitan Books, 2000). The
latter won the 2001 American Book Award of the Before
Columbus Foundation. His new book, The Sorrows of
Empire: Militarism, Secrecy, and the End of the
Republic will be published by Metropolitan in January
2004.

http://www.americanempireproject.com/johnson/index.asp

and see

http://student.cs.ucc.ie/cs1064/jabowen/IPSC/php/authors.php?auid=2397

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chalmers_Johnson

I only know his early work -- _Peasant Nationalism and
Communist Power_ and _Revolutionary Change_.

Judy Evans, Cardiff