[lit-ideas] Re: Englehardt, Cold Warrior in a Strange Land

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 13:50:21 -0500

Lawrence, I re-read your post and have some comments:  basically, your position
is that we're isolationist.  That is a position that is not valid anymore.  It
died out with Reagan.  Today the reality is globalization.  There is a global
upper class and a global middle class (the poor don't count in economics; the
middle class is the engine of capitalism.)  The global upper class is composed
of Americans, Mexicans, Canadians, Saudis, French, Germans, Russians,
Australians, English, Japanese, Brazilians, etc., probably even including
Chinese.  The middle class is worldwide, in countries such as China, Brazil,
Russia, India.

Until now, the preeminent middle class of the world was in the U.S.  Today,
however, middle classes are rapidly increasing in places like China, etc.; the
middle class in the U.S. is on the wane.  The global upper class, the elite of
the world, needs the U.S. because the U.S. has a nice military to defend their
interests.  To do this they invoke "national interest".   Hence the oil wars of
the 21st century (run to the hills, Saddam has WMD!).  The U.S. of today is
limping along sustained by military Keynesianism in terms of weapons production
(the third of a trillion dollar a year figure doesn't take into account the
stuff buried in "energy", etc. as pointed out in the article).  Except for its
military and heretofore purchasing power of the middle class, the U.S. is
becoming irrelevant.  Nearly all manufacturing is done overseas; jobs are
increasingly exported from this country overseas by Bill Gates, Dell, Wal-Mart,
Citibank, and on and on.  Nations exist to support the afo
 rementioned global elite.  If you don't believe it, just look around your
house and find something manufactured in the U.S.  Let me know what you find.