[lit-ideas] Re: End of Times

  • From: John Wager <john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 17:31:58 -0500

John McCreery wrote:

On 7/24/06, Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Wow. It's been years since I read this. And I have the sense that I never
read it before. Wow.

There is also, of course, the last stanza to Matthew Arnold's "Dover Beach":

Nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain;
And we are here as on a darkling plain
Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight,
Where ignorant armies clash by night.

Seems mighty apt to our current situation.

And let's not forget that old revolutionary turned portraitist, lead singer for Jefferson Airplane, Gracie Slick.

Here's part of the lyrics from House at Pooneil Corners, from the Crown of Creation album:

Someone stood at the window and cried one tear
I thought that would stop the war
But someone is killing me
And that's the last hour to think any more
Jelly and juice and bubbles
Bubbles on the floor

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence and ignorance." -------------------------------------------------
John Wager john.wager1@xxxxxxxxxxx