[lit-ideas] Re: End of Times

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 18:19:40 -0500

Then again, there's Czeslaw Milosz's response:

TO ROBINSON JEFFERS

If you have not read the Slavic poets
so much the better.  There's nothing there
for a Scotch-Irish wanderer to seek.  They lived in a childhood
prolonged from age to age.  For them, the sun
was a farmer's ruddy face, the moon peeped through a cloud
and the Milky Way gladdened them like a birch-lined road.
The longed for the Kingdom which is always near,
always right at hand.  Then, under apple trees
angels in homespun linen will come parting the boughs
and at the white kolkhoz tablecloth
cordiality and affection will feast (falling to the ground at times),

And you are from surf-rattled skerries.  From the heaths
where burying a warrior they broke his bones
so he could not haunt the living.  From the sea night
which your forefathers pulled over themselves, without a word.
Above your head no face, neither the sun's nor the moon's,
only the throbbing of galaxies, the immutable
violence of new beginnings, on new destruction.

All your life listening to the ocean.  Black dinosaurs
wade where a purple zone of phosphorescent weeds
rises and falls on the waves as in a dream.  And Agamemnon
sails the boiling deep to the steps of the palace
to have his blood gush onto marble.  Till mankind passes
and the pure and stony earth is pounded by the ocean.

Thin-lipped, blue-eyed, without grace or hope,
before God the Terrible, body of the world.
Prayers are not heard.  Basalt and granite.
Above them, a bird of prey.  The only beauty.
What have I to do with you?  From footpaths in the orchards,
from an untaught choir and shimmers of a monstrance,
from flower beds of rue, hills by the rivers, books
in which a zealous Lithuanian announce brotherhood, I come.
Oh, consolations of mortals, futile creeds.

And yet you did not know what I know.  The earth teaches
More than does the nakedness of elements.  No one with impunity
gives to himself the eyes of a god.  So brave, in a void,
you offered sacrifices to demons" there were Wotan and Thor,
the screech of Erinyes in the air, the terror of dogs
when Hekate with her retinue of the dead draws near.

Better to carve suns and moons on the joints of crosses
as was done in my district.  To birches and firs
give feminine names.  To implore protection
against the mute and treacherous might
than to proclaim, as you did, an inhuman thing.

                                   -- Czeslaw Milosz

********

My problem is I love them both.

Mike Geary