[lit-ideas] Re: Empire Strikes Back, or Out as the case may be

  • From: Andy <min.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 11:49:29 -0800 (PST)

Thanks, Mike.  Check this out:

  I have my doubts to the extent that it takes oil to build a carbon neutral,
ecologically friendly city.  But, they're doing it now instead of waiting, so
it might work.  Abu Dhabi apparently has the biggest carbon footprint in the
world currently.  This link has a video in it.:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/05/science/earth/05city.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=masdar&st=nyt&oref=slogin

  http://tinyurl.com/yphrqb

  There's a city in China that's under development that uses only one earth or
slightly more than one earth, Dontang City.  Given that Houston uses 12 earths
(and China's using a gazillion earths), that's a big deal.  We're doing nothing
at all except to figure out better ways to waste oil through varied and sundry
'necessary' wars.  I hear Benjamin Franklin is making a resurgence.  Thrift as
virtue.  He, or Poor Richard, thinks war is folly.  Supposedly New Testament
Paul or somebody in the Bible said to the effect of, why can't I stop myself
from doing what I don't want to do?  My answer is, obviously because you really
want to do it or you wouldn't be doing it.  I mean, I have no problem stopping
myself from washing windows.

  Too bad we can't eat guns.  Boy, we'd all be so happy.  I can't figure out
why plastic can't be made biodegradable but I guess it can't be done.  Waiting
for a microbe to evolve that can eat plastic could take, probably will take,
millions of years, if it happens at all.

Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
          Welcome back, Irene.

  Mike Geary