[lit-ideas] Re: Elzora and the Chicken

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 13:23:14 -0700

Our list has gone quiet.  Because I have today spent more hours than any decent
accounting would suggest is sound preparing for tomorrow's meeting, I need to
spend a few minutes here thinking about what parents name their children.  Olaf
and Karen begat Enid G.  Melvin and Mildred decided to call their baby
Wandalee.  Frieda and Herman had a Marian (who married a Breedlove).  Helen and
Bob had a Mary Lou.  Kenneth and Lenora named Lucy, but she preferred to go by
"Lerane."  Roy and Cora had a Beryl.  Eijiro and Hamano chose Kimi.  There's no
indication who named Millard; he grew up to be a Teamster.  Harry and Genell
called their daughter Marsha Lucile.  Raymond and Fredora raised someone whose
married name was Marium Elzora "Mari" Van Ronk Schindler.

A friend forwarded this brief review.  I think it well written.

> http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/smart-writing_650766.html?nopager=1

The semester approaches.  I have an innovation to suggest.  British televisions
now have a red button.  I keep reading references on the BBC to "pressing the
red button."  I don't know what the button does, but there should be one in the
modern classroom.  Just like the folk at airline check-in, we should have a
thing that lights up in Student Services.  Help would immediately come running.
 "You have someone here who is under-prepared?  Let us whisk him away."  Whisk,
whisk.

Made a curry yester eve, out of a twelve-legged chicken.  Even though I bought
whole-earth free-range happy-go-lucky drumsticks, the total protein cost of the
curry was four dollars and some.  Pretty good for feeding six people.  Of
course there were one or two other expenses...wine...very good bread and
cheese...dessert...

Life, literature, writing can be good.

Carry on,

David Ritchie,