[lit-ideas] Ein Antisemit brennt [was: Another Bush failure?]

  • From: Chris Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 20:32:26 +0200

On 30. Aug 2006, at 15:15, Mike Geary wrote:

CB:
Where have you been, Julie? The person who posts...under various versions of the name 'Josie Wells' has
been spewing rabidly racist and antisemitic material for years!<<

I assure you, Chris, Julie was being ironic. I laughed out loud at her post.

Oops - sorry, Julie. And thanks, Mike.

I'm obviously still over-sensitive to the fact that 'Josie Wells' got away with her/his/their less straight-forwardly obvious antisemitic rantings and ravings for quite a while on a previous list. Many of us (I include myself here) were lulled into a state of unwatchfulness - until somebody blew the whistle.

Here's a bit of local graffiti from a neighbourhood bus shelter which I'll take the liberty of renaming (title of the original: 'Ein Nazi brennt') in 'Josie Wells' (dis)honour:

EIn Antisemit brennt

Erst ein Arm,
Dann ein Bein,
Dann das ganze
Nazischwein.

(An antisemite burns

First an arm,
Then a leg,
Then the whole
nazi pig.)

While the rest of us celebrate, 'Ms/Mr/Mrs Wells' will no doubt wish to mourn the fact that the leader of the NPD (National Party of Germany - a neo-nazi party that unfortunately is managing the spring the 5% hurdle for representation in German legislative bodies because of poor voter turnout) faction of the Saxony parliament was killed Wednesday morning when he ran headlong into a truck while 'executing a dangerous passing manouvre'. The man (whose name I won't bother cross the room to look up in the newspaper cutting I've saved to share with other lists fighting Holocaust denial) was apparently a driving instructor. The people of Saxony - to say nothing of his driving students - are much richer for this recent favour that he has done us all.

'Ms/Mr/Mrs Wells' has done well in emulating the recently deceased's antisemitic and Holocaust denial rhetoric. Perhaps she/he/they/it will do the list a favour and replicate his recent driving escapade as well.

Chris Bruce
Kiel, Germany