[lit-ideas] Re: Eggs alone do not make breakfast

  • From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Torgeir Fjeld <t.fjeld1@xxxxxxxxx>, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 14:53:36 -0700

Every morning I have one raw egg in an inch of milk in a coffee cup.  Inasmuch as I drink this combination every morning, perhaps I come as close as anyone to be able to declare that eggs almost-alone have comprised my breakfast for at least the past 40 years.

Lawrence

On 8/28/2020 12:38 PM, Torgeir Fjeld wrote:

... and we quote:

«Over the past century, scientists have unlocked many of the most profound secrets of bacon, eggs, oatmeal, and avocado toast, advancing our understanding of the day’s most important meal and ushering in a golden age of innovation.1 Yet there remains one problem that has proven frustratingly resistant to our efforts at resolution: What is often referred to as The Hard Problem of Breakfast.

The stubborn fact remains that, no matter how deeply we probe into the nature of bacon, eggs, oatmeal, and avocado toast—to say nothing of shakshuka, grits, bear claws, or dim sum—or the interactions between these fundamental building blocks and, say, orange juice or coffee and the morning paper, we simply have no convincing theory to explain how such disparate, seemingly inert components give rise to the phenomenon we subjectively experience as “breakfast.”2

It has long been understood that no breakfast can exist in the absence of its constituent foods and their related supporting structures such as plates and bowls, utensils, and toasters.3 A breakfast must self-evidently be “of” something to be considered a breakfast at all. Yet despite technological advances that have enabled scientists to probe these components at the most minute levels, we have to date found no trace of the theorized Breakfast Particle or any other plausible mechanism by which breakfast could emerge from the underlying biochemical or nutriophysical activity.4

In particular, we know from the work of Scherzinger, et al. that breakfast is not located in the eggs.5 Although eggs are highly correlated with the emergence of breakfast, Scherzinger and his team at the Boston Institute for Alimentary Investigation (BIAlI) were able to show definitively that breakfast cannot be located within any part of the egg—white or yolk—and that this result remains consistent regardless of the method of preparation—soft or hard boiled, over easy, scrambled, Benedict, etc. Moreover, these results hold true even when the egg is highly distributed throughout the dish, as in quiche.6 Morris and Shrenk have gone even further, demonstrating that breakfast may emerge even in the complete absence of eggs—such as during oatmeal with walnuts and brown sugar.7»

/Jonathan Bines/
/
/
http://m.nautil.us/issue/88/love--sex/the-hard-problem-of-breakfast