[lit-ideas] Re: Edward Bernays and Goebbels

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 11:33:05 +0900

Bernays is certainly a pivotal figure. What Ewen does, however, is provide
the broader context and the sources of the ideas that Bernays put to work,
with a strong focus on crowd psychology. His account is fascinating.
From wikipedia

*Crowd psychology*, or *social facilitation theory*, is a branch of social
psychology <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_psychology>. Ordinary people
can typically gain direct power by acting collectively. Historically,
because large groups of
people<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_(sociology)> have
been able to bring about dramatic and sudden social change in a manner that
bypasses established due process <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Due_process>,
they have also provoked controversy. Social scientists have developed
several different theories for explaining
crowd<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowd> psychology,
and the ways in which thepsychology<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychology> of
the crowd differs significantly from the psychology of those individuals
within it. Carl Jung <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Jung> coined the
notion of the Collective
unconscious<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_unconscious>.
Other major thinkers of crowd psychology include Gustave Le
Bon<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustave_Le_Bon>
, Wilfred Trotter <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilfred_Trotter>,Gabriel
Tarde <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel_Tarde>, Sigmund
Freud<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigmund_Freud>