[lit-ideas] Re: Education

  • From: Torgeir Fjeld <torgeir_fjeld@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 23:36:31 +0000 (GMT)

Dear list,

Robert wrote that he is "depressed and frustrated by the disappearance of plain
speech and writing among young people," but that he "can think of no way of
bringing it back."

I am sorry that you feel that way. I also like those who speak plain, like when
I want to buy a sandwich and the proprietor plainly tells the price without any
jokes, innuendos or tricks. This also applies to writing (not a sign saying
what the price /might/ be, say).

When my interlocutor is convoluted I can get otiose. Anyway, though, I like to
think that kids write a lot /more/ these days than they used to, and they write
more stuff closer to their /vernacular/. I believe that is a good thing when it
aids  in articulating needs and demands for people.

Of course, a highly specialized and sadly underdemanded writing skill as is
practiced in analyitcal philosophy is possibly less accentuated isa result or
due to some third determinind variable. I don't know. And I don't know if it
was better when kids could write perfectly legible letters of application but
were unable to describe subjective explosions of joy celebration oppression
hopes etc

Cheers.

-tor
Norway

torgeir_fjeld@xxxxxxxx        // Ph: (+47) 47851394
http://facebook.com/phatic

-- Fred, frihet og gode offentlige tjenester --