[lit-ideas] Economy??

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 17:16:02 -0600

Help!  Someone out there who understands some of the dynamics involved in
American and global economy....

My husband got gas today for $1.39 gallon.  I can't honestly remember when I
saw those signs last ....  probably 15 - 20 years ago.

What caused the price of gas to plummet?  I realize some of it has to do
with demand going way down as people minimized their driving when gas was
near $5 a gallon -- but it's hard for me to believe that's all (or even the
majority) of what happened.

I'm lacking a fundamental understanding of the dynamics involved in the
relationship among the global economy, the rapidly depleting source of oil,
the economic effects of the turmoil in Asia and the ME, the mortgage fiasco
and collapsing banks, the obvious recession, inflation in consumer goods,
the desperation of the auto industry, and unemployment.

Can anyone point me to a "economics for dummies" site or book, or just lay
out a very basic sort of cause/effect thing?

Julie Krueger